Turning Back Time with “Wives with Beehives”
But Dollie is not the only one longing for a lifestyle from the past. Amber, Leslie and Shelby all share Dottie’s affinity for the 1950s. These women don’t just dress like they’re living in the ‘50s – they’re living a vintage lifestyle with ‘50s clothing, furniture, electronics and personalities.
These ladies prove that living like you’re in the 1950s can be done. Here are some tips for being a part of the Wives with Beehives group.
How to live a vintage lifestyle:
- It’s all about image. A vintage woman always has her hair done, is well-dressed and generally put together.
- A woman has her role as a homemaker. She makes sure the house is perfect when her husband arrives home from work.
- Family values are important to maintain.
- Every piece of furniture, from the sofa to the stove, should be from the 1950s.
- Per #4, this means you can’t own a dishwasher. You’re your own dishwasher!
- Don’t email – or even own a computer.
- Prepare for waistline adjustments. As Amber says, “After you get married, you get happy, and after you’re happy, you start eating.”
- Do have well-manicured nails.
- It’s OK to be like Leslie, the 1950s housewife who doesn’t cook. “I make nothing, I make reservations,” she says.
- Be creative with your style. Today’s average woman is larger than her 1950s counterpart; sometimes clothing can be hard to find.
Watch Wives with Beehives, Thursday, December 27 at 10|9c on TLC.