Why does cold weather hurt my teeth?
“My teeth hurt really badly early in the morning as I walk from my house to my car”
- Cold sensitivity could be caused by several factors:
- Clenching or grinding teeth
- Gum shrinkage
- Cracked teeth
- Thin enamel
- Weakened enamel
- Tooth bruising from trauma or eating
If the sensitivity lasts longer than three days, I suggest you make an appointment to visit your dentist. There are also 10 ways to try to remedy cold sensitivity at home:
1. Pay attention to what causes cold sensitivity and try to track it
2. Find the cause of gum shrinkage and treat it appropriately
3. Follow the “7 Minute Window”
4. Rinse with a fluoride mouthwash two to three times per day. This will assist in sealing the cold-sensitive teeth.
5. Rinse with sodium bicarbonate and water to bathe and soothe the mouth.
6. Avoid alcohol-containing rinses
7. Wear a bite guard to reduce pressures on your teeth
8. Care for cracked teeth and cavities as soon as you catch them