By: Jodi Westrick
A Texas woman is now blind in one eye after being exposed to a flesh-eating bacteria during a mud run, reports the New York Daily News. The bacterial infection, necrotizing fasciitis, spreads quickly and kills the body's soft tissue, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
According to a Go-Fund-Me page established for Brittany Williams, she suffered from pain and vision loss in her left eye after participating in a mud run with her fiancé. ER doctors originally believed she was experiencing what looked like a chemical burn, however, a few days later, her cornea rapidly deteriorated.
Williams is currently being treated with antibiotics, but is struggling under the cost of care since she does not have health insurance.
Learn more about necrotizing fasciitis in the Monsters Inside Me clip below: